If you’ve had back pain or a bad night sleeping on a hammock, you were probably NOT using one of the best backpacking hammocks. A backpacking hammock is a must have if you plan on sleeping full nights without a tent. In fact, most through-hikers actually prefer backpacking hammocks to traditional tent camping because they are light weight, and provide a consistent night rest.
Backpacking Hammocks are compact in design, lightweight, available in different patterns & colors, easy to install almost everywhere, and easy to carry as well. This is what makes it the number one choice for backpacking.
We have narrowed down the list of best backpacking hammocks by reviewing only quality products from industry’s best brands. So, let’s check them out and make the decision which backpacking hammock is perfect for you…
Best Backpacking Hammock Reviews
1. Hennessy Hammocks Expedition Zip Revew
The original camping hammock that started it all. The Hennessy Hammock rules them all. Here’s a great review video that shows how Hennessy has though of everything:
The best backpacking hammock will be lightweight,flexible, and comfy enough for extended trips. The expedition zip checks all the boxes. Who knew you could be so comfortable in a hammock?
The Hennessy Hamocks Expedition Zip has some of the best backpacking hammock reviews on Amazon, Ebay, the hammocking forums, and facebook groups.
- Super light weight and well thought out. Everything from packing to places to hang stuff has been well thought through, and iterated on over several models.
- Best zips on the market that won’t break.
- Asymmetric design makes the hammock way more comfortable, and allows you to lay flatter.
- Ridgeline system is easy to hang right every time without a level.
- The Hennessy Expedition Zip is only good for people up to 6′ tall. They make XL and XXL hammocks for big and tall folks, so everyone can experience the expedition zip.
2. Hummingbird Hammocks Ultralight Single Plus Hammock
Receiving more of positive reviews, this product is a show-stopper. This is handmade of 100% Nylon and designed to carry 158 kg (350lbs) maximum suspended weight. The size of the product will be around 6x4x2 in (15x10x5 cm) when packed and when unpacked, it measures around 116×63 in (295×160 cm). The company claimed that Hummingbird Hammocks Ultralight Single+ Hammock is a little bit large in size in comparison to the single version and it weighing 30% less than any other hammocks available in the market.
It is designed by a Parachute Rigger who brings the parachute technology in the hammock industry for the first time. It comes with the button link attachment system which contains no heavy metal parts and lock stitching. This is what makes it an advanced backpacking hammock.
- The hammock is easy to adjust and of lightweight
- The size is very small, and it easily fits into the back pocket
- The look and feel are very elegant
- It comes with soft link carabiners
- User-friendly button link system
- Lock stitching instead of chain stitching
- Easy to set up
- You need to purchase tree straps separately
- The lightness of the material can make you little skeptical about this product
3. Portable Lightweight Parachute Nylon Backpacking Hammock by Wise Owl Outfitters
These backpacking hammocks are unlike other hammocks. These are made of high-quality 201T parachute nylon. This quality of nylon is usually used by skydivers and it is extra soft which gives you comfort and relaxation.
- The softness gives you a cozy feel and makes you feel comfortable.
- The product also comes with a tagline 100% satisfaction guarantee which gives you the worth for your hard-earned money.
- This backpack hammock is of lightweight and easy to carry to any part of the world.
- These backpacking hammocks come with a pair of carabiner and tree ropes.
- The product also comes with an emailer which has all the instructions in a manual after you purchase the product.
- If you are looking for attractive colors, then this is not your cup of tea because it has limited color options.
4. Grand Trunk Unisex Super Ultralight Nano 7 Hammock
The material used is nylon and it is ultra light in weight and portable hammock. This will be for a single person backpacking hammock and it is ready for your next hiking adventure.
- It is super convenient for using
- Water bottle facility in the pack is an advantage
- Provides better relaxation and hiking experience
- Ideal for backpacking, hiking, camping
- Quick setup and easy installation
- Superior quality and durability is excellent
- Smaller dimension can make you feel uncomfortable
- Paper thin fabric can make you doubtful but it works well
Note: Bigger the ultralight backpacking hammock better the uses and capabilities. Choose this only if it is suiting the requirements.
5. Klymit Traverse XL Hammock
If you’re looking for the most comfy hammock in the world, this is probably it. The Klymit Traverse XL is super spacious and made out of fabric that remind you of super fancy bed sheets. Seriously, this is an amazing comfortable place to lounge. For camping you’ll need to buy the hammock tarp and bug net separately.
The Traverse hammock does come with really long webbing straps with tons of hanging options.
- It comes with 2x durable straps
- It is ideal for camping, hiking, and backpacking.
- This is the most comfortable hammock cloth we’ve ever experienced.
- Easy to set up and pack
- Extra long straps.
- Not as lightweight as the Hennessy hammock system.
- Not an integrated bug net system
6. Bear Butt Double Parachute Hammock
The best hammock for backpacking is the Bear Butt parachute hammock. It is having a very good design that comforts you. The design is made in such a way that it hangs comfortably between the trees and poles. The large hammock can be used anywhere and all you need is a place to hang these ropes. Once you set up the hammock then all you need to do is to enjoy the beauty of the surroundings.
To install this, you need no special stands. It is perfect for quick and last-minute excursions where you don’t have any decided arrangements. It fits in both indoors and outdoors. It is perfect for a travel and adventuring activities. It is of lightweight so carrying it is very easy. You can use them for bigger trips.
- It has a very strong nylon and that ensures the strength and durability of the hammock.
- The package comes with carabiners and ropes.
- It has 2 heavy duty carabiners with reinforced nylon straps.
- No stand required for installation
- Comfortable design
- We noted down only the one problem after reviewing hudreds of feedbacks from users and all are quetioning about the qulaity of straps and carabiners.
7. ENO Eagles Nest Outfitters – DoubleNest Hammock
ENO eagles nest outfitter is the backpacking hammock for two because of its versatility and durability. It is compact and perfect for camping and hiking activities. It gives you perfect adventure and available in many colors and dimensions. Fading of the material never happens and is always an option. It is breathable and made of quick-drying nylon.
- It includes Aluminum wire gate carabiners that are used to secure the 2-person camping hammock.
- The best part is that they produce less potential waste by using every bit of its fabric production.
- Beautiful color options
- The color may vary from the one that’s appearing on the internet. If you are looking for the exact color then you should be ready to receive few variances.
8. Portable SingleNest Hammock by ENO Eagles Nest Outfitters
If you don’t like to share your quality time with anyone then this is for you. It lets you meet yourself in the serenity of nature. It is weighing 16 ounces and stuffs easily even into your small bag. It measures around (L x W) 4″ x 5″ when packed; and when unfolded it measures around (L x W) 9′ 4″ x 4′ 7″. It is made of high quality 70D High Tenacity Nylon Taffeta which is durable, quick drying and can support 400 pounds.
- Easy to stuff in even in the small ball-size bag
- Need no technical skills for the installation
- Made of higher quality nylon fabric
- Available in almost 24 different colors
- It is not ideal for sharing as it accommodates only one person comfortably
- You need to buy straps separately
9. Bear Butt Double Parachute Camping Hammock, Blue / Gray
Bear Butt Double Parachute Camping Hammock is the best hammock for backpacking mainly for its comfortable hanging design, it adds beauty to the backpack. It is designed in a way that you can hang them between trees and poles using the ropes. The hammock will help you enjoy the surroundings at its best.
- The most comfortable hammock does not need any sort of stands to function.
- Made of superior nylon quality and no netting facilities.
- It comes with carabiners and ropes, so you don’t have to buy them separately again.
- The smalle size and light weight makes it the perfect hammock for weekend camping trips
- When your order this product online, color alteration might be possible
10. Grand Trunk Double Parachute Nylon Print Hammock with Carabiners and Hanging Kit
The weight is 20oz and it has a dimension of 10X6 feet approximately. It is majorly used for car camping and traveling along the beaches and lakes. It has nautical-grade carabiners with a starter rope kit. It has 100% parachute nylon that will help with a lifetime warranty. It is little bigger than the normal sized hammock.
- It is made of nylon material and it is known for the durability.
- The high-strength and mildew-resistant parachute with triple-stitched seams will help in the longevity of the product.
- The nautical-grade hanging carabiners will be a helping hand when you go for hiking and adventure traveling.
- The hammock can hold up to 400 pounds.
- The rope and other hanging instructions come along with the backpacking hammock.
- If you don’t like big hammocks of backpacking, then this will not suit you.
11. Kammok Roo Double Hammock for Backpacking Trips
Kammok Roo Double Hammock for Backpacking Trips is made up of nylon like all the other nylon hammocks you have in the industry. The users feel that this is of a comfortable size – it is neither too small nor too big for the traveler. It is of very moderate size like how a queen size bed will look like. It will perfectly fit in 2 people. It is durable and strong. It is made of LunarWave fabric and can support 500lbs.
- It is portable
- Moderate and proper weight
- Social conscious in nature
- Comes with a life time warranty
- The large size of this hammock can make you drown into it
12. Flagship-X Double Camping Hammock with Tree Straps and Survival Bracelet Fire Starter
The extra-long tree straps are an added advantage to this product. The carabiners and the ropes are attached along with the product. It will not need any knots for the installation. It is of 9 feet long and has 16 loops in it. It has a fast setup and teardown. It is ideal for camping and backpacking activities. It is also good when you go for a travel trip on beaches and lounging.
- It is weather resistant
- It comes with the triple stitched cloth.
- It also comes with a bonus bracelet. It is known as the survival bracelet starter and used commonly among all the travelers.
- Few may not like the colors available, hence the limited color edition must be changed. The colors are boring in a certain stage.
There is no grantee about the material used, hence one issued at least for a year will be helpful.
13. Lightweight Packable Backpacking Hammock by OneTigris
The premium materials used is the polyester filling and nylon shell. It has a DWR coating and 300T polyester pongee lining. It has a 2-3 season under quilt and it will work on comfortable temperatures only. That temperature is suitable for extending the hammock camping season. It has split on both the ends and that makes it easier to keep it under blankets and keep it on correct positions.
- Fast to setup
- Easy installation
- Light weight
- Reliability and durability
- Easy storage
- Some may not like the look and feel of the material as it is designed to be rough for better durability.
14. L Double Parachute Hammock by Mallome
This is available in extra enormous size, so for people who need more room in a double parachute, this is the ideal camping hammock. It is luxurious when used and has the measurements of 320 X 200 cm. It easily fits 2 adults comfortably. In fact, this is often cited as the best hammock for two. Give it a hang!
- It is extra strong and has a unique strip design without compromising the strength
- It is twice the strength of its competitors and made of premium 210T nylon fabric
- It is compact and portable
- Easy to carry and just weighs that of a volleyball
- This ultra large luxurious hammock is easy to carry
- Quality fabric lets air through in well
- Not good for the single person as excel size might prevent you from enjoying the landscape around you.
15. SEGMART Double Hammock with Two Tree Straps & Carabiners
The black ropes which are at the ends will be of great support. The product comes along with these ropes hence it ensures strength and longevity. Instead of black ropes, they have now upgraded grey slings. Since they are grey slings, they are much more strong and portable. It is bearing about 600 lbs./sling. It is an upgraded version and it can be used in sunshade and swing chairs. The product comes with all gears in the same bag. This serves as the best camping hammock for families.
- This was basically created for more secure and easier camping and backpacking experience.
- It is comfy and relaxing
- The product also has adjustable straps which will help you in adjusting the height of the hammock faster
- It also comes with carabiners which are ultra-light
- Able to carry even 3 people
- Not preferable for the single person
Few Points to Ponder When You Are Buying a Backpacking Hammock
There are few points that are really important when you are buying a hammock for backpacking trips.
- Check the size and type of the product.
- Ensure that the quality used is of superior and high-class quality.
- The materials used must be nylon preferably however, there are different types of nylon. Research and find the best fit that suits your requirements.
- Check for colors and fading time of the fabric.
- Check if it’s easy to install. You will be tired already and too much time can’t be wasted in setting up the hammock.
- Check if the ropes and carabiners come along with the product or you may have to order them separately.
- Check if the hammock is durable and compact.
- If you have but nets along with hammocks then it’s an added advantage.
- The strips and ropes must be adjustable.
Backpacking Hammocks FAQ
Is it safe to camp in a hammock?
Where do you put your bag when camping in a hammock?
Do you use a sleeping pad in a camping hammock?
So, now it’s your turn! As of now, you are aware of the best backpacking hammocks available in the market. Chose one for you and buy it now to add a bit of comfort to your adventure trips like camping, backpacking, and hiking.